Friday, January 18, 2008

Brief Hiatus (again)

With 2008, I strive for balance (om shanti shanti)...

... It's gonna have to wait.

I've got another way overdue deadline that must take up every spare moment of my time until it is finished.

This is actually a pretty cool piece written for sax quartet + tenor + rhythm ( - piano). It's the second of its kind (Lament for Sasha Bordeaux being first). Like Lament, this is being composed for one of my closest friends, John Thomas and his sax quartet at the University of Northern Colorado at Greeley.

It's inspired, not by a comic for once, but by a train. The insane monorail named "Blaine" from Stephen King's The Dark Tower series. As a joke to myself, I based the initial chord progression off of Trane's Impressions. Get it? Trane- train!



... Anyway, as much as I envision my long days and pleasant nights well balanced between writing, keeping up with the blogosphere, searching for grants, dreaming about far away lands, I've got to get this finished first.

'Till then, I leave you with this:

CAST YOUR NETS, WANDERERS! TRY ME WITH YOUR QUESTIONS AND LET THE CONTEST BEGIN!

2 comments:

Gregory Dudzienski said...

We'll miss you...
Good luck with the piece. It sounds really interesting.

mordicai said...

If you are into crazy alternate world train stories, I recommend China Mieville's "Iron Council.