Monday, November 10, 2008

Bottomless Links: The Superchick Edition

I haven't bought a comic book in over a month.

It makes me sad and I miss them. But hey, times are tough and it's just too hard to go into Midtown and buy just one.

And then I hear news about cancellations and I get even sadder.

Word came out a few days ago that DC was canceling not only Batman spin-offs Nightwing and Robin, but also my beloved Birds of Prey. Reports are not sure whether these cancellations are in order to tie into Grant Morrison's Batman R.I.P. or just a result of bad sales. Either way, I may have to dig through the couch cushions for enough change to buy the remaining few BOP issues.

Sad as I am, this commercial cheered me up:



Now I'm sure this commercial offended some people, but I make no apologies. I love Christina Aguilera and if any celeb was going to make a comic book reference, it may as well be her!

Speaking of celebs as superheroes, I learned from Occasional Superheroine that Beyonce is vying for the role of Wonder Woman. Matt Brady reports further at Newsarama.

My take? If the still unannounced movie is going to go the route of shiny PG superhero movie, then why the hell not? I still have my fingers crossed for a darker take on the Amazon Princess, more Batman Begins then Superman Returns. Personally, if we can't have Joss, I would love a WW movie directed by Quentin Tarantino!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Kel, I know what you mean about Christina Aguilera cheering you up. We had a rehearsal with a couple of guest artists last week that didn't go so well. The "kids" in the band were just talking too much and and NOT swinging! On Basie no less!!! So, after starting with "Straight Ahead" and meandering through my iPod for a half-hour, I ended up with Christina. I don't remember exactly how I got there, but I got my fix. D

D0nnaTr0y said...

LOL, that's funny! Yeah, Christina is great for those special situations. I love listening to her on runs or when cleaning, and her second album Stripped can always bring me up out of a funk!

(hope the "kids" swing harder next time!) ;)

K. D. Bryan said...

Admittedly, while I stopped collecting Birds of Prey after Gail Simone stopped writing it, the cancellation does make me sad. It's especially depressing coming on the heels of Blue Beetle getting the axe. I haven't been able to afford very many comics myself (damn you, economy!) but I've tried to support the ones I love as much as I could. Here's hoping The Sword, Secret Six and all the other less-than-superpopular titles I love manage to avoid the axe.

And I have to admit that I, too, love Christina Aguilera for bringing back the Swing aesthetic with a helluva lot of brass (and okay, yes, I'm a softy for Beautiful). Candyman is absolutely aces in my book for a wide variety of reasons. And if she ever covered I've Got A Crush On You, well, I'd probably melt into a puddle of goo with floating hearts above my head. :)

Pablo Javier Frizan said...

Dear Kelly:

Hi!. I'm from Argentina and looking some information about Ted Kord I've found your site. My question is where I can achive your albums if this possible. I've realised that we have a lot on common: the love for jazz and comics.

By the way, you can email me at pablofrizan@hotmail.com... Or just visit my blog.

D0nnaTr0y said...

Hi Pablo,

It's great to hear from you! I checked out your blog, but sadly cannot read Spanish! Right now I don't have any albums for sale, but do have a few tunes (including Ted Kord's Elegy) available for download if you sign up as a "fan" on my mailing list- check it out on the right hand side of the blog.

Are you a musician, too?

Pablo Javier Frizan said...

What a pity!.. I promise that one of my next posts will be in english...
I'm not a musician. I just love music and arts. I work in a newspaper here in Argentina. But, right now, I'm on what I like to call "my own private time... I mean, holidays... Yei!!!
By the way, I want to make an interview to you for my blog... What do you say?..

D0nnaTr0y said...

Cool- I'll check back for that English blog post! ;) And sure, I'd love to do an interview for the blog. Just let me know when. Enjoy your private time! :)